Over the years I gathered and have written some resources for early-career astronomers. Below is a list/overview of several of them. Feel free to share with anyone who might benefit from this. I welcome suggestions or questions.
Big news! I’m thrilled to share that we are organizing an session on “Early Career Astronomers & their supporters” on June 28th 2021 during the EAS conference. Check out this website for more information: https://eas.unige.ch/EAS2021/session.jsp?id=SS34
- Twitter thread with useful tools and websites for finding, reading and keeping track of (ArXiv) papers in Astronomy:
- Twitter thread by Victoria Grinberg on writing (conference) abstracts: https://twitter.com/vicgrinberg/status/1378277567602495491
- Another twitter thread on writing abstracts https://twitter.com/elvisha9/status/1396911495766806531
- Template for writing paper abstracts: https://www.fabriziogilardi.org/resources/papers/good-abstracts.pdf
- How to make an academic personal website, blog on astrobetter by Emily Moravec https://www.astrobetter.com/blog/2021/05/04/creating-a-website-to-promote-your-scientific-work/
Mental Health resources
- for graduate students from astrobites https://astrobites.org/2019/08/23/mental-health-in-grad-school/?fbclid=IwAR2v0-HWl6MUcY3VPGZ5gfB_3Ihv2Cf99FfXerSliSrkZXd5o0Z9CWFFRqk
- Posters on mental health by Zoe J Ayres https://www.zjayres.com/posters?fbclid=IwAR3nCmR6iT0bgHGccN9dYkm9YwxONKNFXdhTFlAmvTJLRSvSV322qPisVvQ
Applying to PhD/PostDocs/summer schools resources:
- A document on “applying for PhD positions in Astronomy & Astrophysics” that I co-wrote. This document is written by (former) PhD students and gives tips and tricks on how to find, and apply to PhD positions. It also shares some experiences and advices from former students. See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mHZFVskJ8uEF5xdMnsq1LRMDaQtUVggPLWg5uUNSxD4/edit?usp=sharing
- Document with list of possible (PhD) interview questions that are typically asked during PhD interviews.
- List of summer school/internship opportunities from Astrobetter: https://www.astrobetter.com/wiki/Summer+Internships
- I usually help several (between 5-10) students per year with applying to PhD positions. In particularly, I’m happy to give advice about how to find PhD positions in the USA and Europe and/or how to write a personal statement, SOP, CV etc. If you are interested in this, please don’t hesitate to reach out over email (particularly if you don’t have similar connections/support at your home institution).
- Mentoring resource for students/mentees to help set up a mentoring network, and set expectations with your mentor(s): myumi.ch/K4zPD, By U. of Michigan
- Mentoring resource for faculty for mentoring graduate students: myumi.ch/R58Oq. By U. of Michigan
- Effective mentoring practices guide, by Brown University; https://www.brown.edu/sheridan/teaching-learning-resources/mentoring-resources/effective-mentoring-practices
- Resource page for effective mentoring in STEMM: https://www.nap.edu/resource/25568/interactive/
- Mentoring resources list by astrobetter: https://www.astrobetter.com/wiki/Mentoring+in+Astronomy+and+Geophysics
- one of my favorite mentoring documents: “How to get the mentoring you want: a guide for graduate students”, by U. of Michigan. colorado.edu/graduateschool/sites/default/files/attached-files/mentoring.pdf